Channelinsider recently showed that the value of IT Certification, in terms individual pay premiums. For all but one category, it had turned positive in the last 3 months versus last year as compared to average base salary. Another way to look at this is that Partners are now able charge more for the services their technically trained people provide.
- When you prepare your certification programs, do you consider the certification costs from the Partner’s perspective? You may want to make sure you’ve asked the following questions…
- Do you evaluate everything the Partner must invest in certification before they will realize any revenue?
- Have you looked at how long it takes a Partner from the time they become certified until they begin consistently producing revenue as a result of this certification?
- Do you know how your Partners compare before and after training?
- Do your Partners believe that their investment in certification was worthwhile? Did they see any ROI?
- When will the Partner breakeven on their investment in your certification? Is this reasonable?
Here’s where analytics can help. Relying on sound data and quantitative analysis removes guesswork. For example you might want to do the following actions.
- Compare revenue and 2-tier POS in your Oracle, SAP or other ERP data base with information from your training and certification records in your learning management system.
- Marry that information to your Partner data base.
- Estimate the cost for each component of certification (course(s), equipment, testing, etc.).
- Identify average gross margin that your Partners will realize for each certification for your breakeven analysis.
Now you’re ready to start crunching numbers. Sound like a daunting task? It can be. Most of the information you’ll be gathering comes from different data bases. It’s in different formats that will have to be adjusted before you can even begin your analysis.
An alternative might be to work with an outside team of professionals such as WaveLength Market Analytics. Know Your Channel from WaveLength takes your partner, product, customer, company, and market data together with any necessary 3rd party sources to build your customized Partner Intelligence Scorecard. We work with you to identify Key Performance Indicators that your want to measure. If the data allows, we compare channels and partners, groups of partner-types, geographic locations, certification levels, experience levels, and any other types of analyses to assist decision-making, program evaluation and management.